Dr. Kristi Funk’s Antioxidant SmoothieCourse: Breakfast, LunchCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Blended smoothies combine delicious whole fruits and vegetables packed with natural cancer-kicking compounds. Although juiceries are popping up on every corner, the main problem with juicing is that you miss out on all the fiber from the pulp and skins that otherwise remain when blending or consuming whole foods. Fiber yields protective benefits against breast cancer and other illnesses, and there are phytochemicals inextricably bound to the skins and pulp that juicing discards. The good bacteria in your gut liberate these bound polyphenols and send them coursing through your body to relieve oxidative stress.
of soy or favorite plant-based milk
- Fruits & Veggies
of banana (I freeze mine)
date (no pit)
of packed dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, or collard greens
of berries like raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries, and/or strawberries (use frozen for a frostier taste). Can trade 1 cup of berries for other fruits: apple, orange, mango, pear, peach, etc.
of amla (powdered Indian gooseberries)
of turmeric or curcumin powder (or 1⁄4 inch fresh turmeric root)
of black pepper (activates the curcumin)
of flaxseeds (omega-3 fatty acids)
- Chose one or the other
of brewed green tea, or
of matcha powder, or cut a green tea bag open and empty contents
- Other Ingredients
of inner fillet aloe vera gel (gel, not juice or aloe water, and only inner fillet)
- Combine all ingredients in a 500W high quality blender to mash through frozen antioxidants and mix all the flavors.
- If you have enough time, portion your Mixed Berries as follows: Raspberries (8g), Blackberries (8g), Boysenberries (7g), Blueberries (4g) and/or Strawberries (3g)
- To mix things up, you can add vanilla, fresh mint leaves, fresh basil leaves, lime juice, lemon juice, fresh ginger root, cayenne pepper, 1-2 drops of clove oil.
- If you can, drink over 20 minutes through a straw to avoid tooth enamel damage.
- Do a simple water rinse of your teeth—no brushing for an hour.
- If you drink it daily (as you should), break the routine with new flavors like mango, pear, and peach to substitute some of your mixed berries.
- All recipes from the Cancer-Kicking! Kitchen are always 100% plant-based and delicious. Check our Ingredient Spotlight feature to learn what makes each ingredient special, and use our Purity Scale to see just how healthy and plant-pure your recipe is.